What Do I Ask a Prospective Home Inspector?
When you talk with a prospective home inspector, be sure to check his or her credentials. Just as important, clarify upfront what you expect from that person. Home inspection associations recommend that you ask the following questions when you retain a home inspector:
- What kind of training and credentials do you have?
- How long have you been in this business?
- Are you affiliated with any real estate agencies or local construction businesses? (conflict of interest.)
- Do you receive or give referral fees? (objectivity)
- Can you provide an advance list of areas to be inspected?
- Do you provide a detailed written report of all defects and recommendations for corrective measures?
- How much do you charge?
- Are there additional charges for certain tests?
- Can you provide recent references?
No professional home inspector will object to these questions. If someone is reluctant to answer them, thank them for their time and hire someone who you know you can work with.