Lake James Community
Your resource for all things about Lake James. We have lived on Lake James for over 20 years. We have a boat to see property from the Lake or just enjoy our Lake.
Annie Loves Lake James and you will too!
is a large reservoir in the mountains of Western North Carolina which straddles the border between Burke and McDowell Counties. It is named for tobacco tycoon and benefactor of Duke University, James Buchanan Duke. The lake lies behind a series of 4 earthen dams. It was created by Duke Power between 1916-1923 as a hydro-electric project. It still generates power today and is the uppermost lake on the Catawba River system. Lake James contains 10.2 square miles of surface area and more than 150 miles of shoreline.
See the lake where the Last of the Mohicans and the closing scene of The Hunt for Red October were filmed with the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountain backdrop.
Lake James Lifestyle Year Round
Long popular as a second home destination, Lake James is transforming into a cool place for your year-round lifestyle. The Lake James communities of 1780 and Old Wildlife Club are seeing more families who are making it their permanent home. Owners have discovered that they can live in idyllic surroundings without abandoning the necessities or the luxuries of the modern world.
There are several questions that clients have about the Lake James Lifestyle.
- 1-Medical facilities. We have some of the best medical facilities in North Carolina. 25 minutes East of Lake James is Carolinas Healthcare- Blue Ridge, a partner of Charlotte based Atrium Healthcare. 28 minutes West is McDowell Hospital, a partner with Mission Health. Both are regional centers with advanced medical services.
- 2-Internet. Both communities have high speed fiber for ease of streaming and home-based businesses.
- 3-Groceries/Shopping- 25 minutes East in Morganton are several grocery stores, pharmacies, Super Wal-Mart, restaurants, breweries, and more. 28 minutes West in Marion are similar grocery stores, pharmacies, Wal-Mart, restaurants, breweries , and more.
- 4-Regional Centers- Nearby Asheville is about 48 miles West.
- 5-Schools- The communities have access to highly rated public schools and several private schools. Also, there are two North Carolina Community Colleges within 25 minutes.
- 6-Where can my children or grandchildren play? There are many trails to explore in our communities including the Over Mountain Victory Trail. Also, Camp Lake James is a hub for just plain ole fun.
- 7-Does the power go out often? Do I need a back-up Generator? Lake James is a man-made lake controlled by the local electric utility. There are very few power outages. Very few owners have back-up generators.
Lake James is in the Foothills of Western North Carolina. From I-40, take exit 105 toward Downtown Morganton, the gateway to the lake. Morganton is a quaint town only 10 miles from the lake with a vibrant craft beer scene and lots of special shops and restaurants. Check out Downtown Morganton here..
Search Homes and Lots Available at Lake James
We are members of Canopy, Mountain Lakes, and High Country Multiple Listing Services and many listings are on each MLS and will display multiple times.
Click Here for all Homes For Sale around Lake James.
Click Here for all Lots For Sale around Lake James.
Trust us to help you understand Lake James
We know when the lake is lowered to do repairs and potential impact on floating docks. We know the subdivisions and their.protective covenants. We know every cove on Lake James and water depths all around the lake. What about great fishing spots? Of course we know. We know the builders who understand building on the lake and more.....